TikTok sues Trump administration over U.S. ban, calling it an election ploy

TikTok on Monday sued U.S. President Donald Trump's administration over his executive order banning transactions in the United States with the popular short-form video-sharing app, calling it a pretext to fuel anti-China rhetoric as he seeks reelection.

In a blog post, TikTok said it strongly disagreed with the White House's position that the company was a national security threat, saying it had "taken extraordinary measures to protect the privacy and security of TikTok's U.S. user data."

Both the app and parent company ByteDance Ltd also described Trump's call in his Aug. 6 executive order for a TikTok ban as a means to further his alleged "broader campaign of anti-China rhetoric."

China slams as ‘barbarous’ US sanctions on Hong Kong leaders

China’s office in Hong Kong on Saturday denounced Washington’s decision to sanction key officials over sliding freedoms in the business hub, calling the move “barbarous and rude”.

 “The ill intentions of US politicians to support people who are anti-China and messing up Hong Kong have been clearly revealed,” Beijing’s Liaison Office in Hong Kong said in a statement.

The United States slapped sanctions Friday on Hong Kong’s leader after effectively forcing Chinese internet giants TikTok and WeChat to end all US operations, in a twin diplomatic-commercial offensive set to grow ahead of US elections.

75 years ago, the US committed war crime against the Japanese people

Seventy-five years ago, the United States committed war crimes against the Japanese people on a scale that was previously unimaginable in human history.

On August 6, 1945, the United States dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan. Three days later, the United States dropped an atomic bomb on a second Japanese city, Nagasaki.

8 in 10 Americans say country is heading down wrong path, new poll finds

With the November election 100 days away, more Americans say the country is heading in the wrong direction than at any previous point in Donald Trump’s presidency.

A new poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research also finds Trump’s approval for his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic falling to a new low, with just 32% of Americans supportive of his approach. Even Trump’s standing on the economy, long the high water mark for the president, has fallen over the past few months after seeming ascendant earlier this year.

Daniel Larison: Intercepting Iranian plane over Syrian airspace another reminder that US military presence in Syria is illegal

Daniel Larison, a US writer in the "American Conservative" Magazine, has stressed that the incident of intercepting an Iranian passenger plane by two US warplanes over the Syrian airspace is another reminder that the U.S. military presence in Syria is unauthorized and illegal and that the US forces should withdraw from Syria immediately.

"This latest incident is another reminder that the U.S. military presence in Syria is unauthorized and illegal. U.S. jets have no business operating in Syrian airspace, and U.S. troops have no business being on Syrian territory. The jets were operating illegally to safeguard an illegal base, and in the process they nearly caused a terrible accident, Larison said in an article published by the "American Conservative" Magazine on Thursday.

Tech groups and 18 states take on Trump over foreign student visas

The largest US technology groups and a group of state attorneys-general on Monday joined the battle against a new Trump administration rule that requires foreign students to return home if universities move to online-only courses in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Facebook, Google and Microsoft were among more than a dozen technology companies who filed a brief in support of an ongoing lawsuit brought last week by Harvard College and Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

UK decision to resume arms sales to Saudi Arabia ‘tantamount to signing death warrants of children’

The British War Child Charity has warned that the decision of the British government of Boris Johnson to resumes arms sales to the Saudi regime is tantamount to signing the death warrants of thousands of children in the Middle East, particularly in Yemen.

The news paper quoted Rob Williams, the chief executive of the charity as saying that “by allowing these arms sales, the UK will be complicit in the suffering and murder of children in what is already the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.

He described the government's decision as “shameful and deadly”.